We have made it this far into the 2019/20 school year. With all the sports and school activities going on, I have been pleased with the attendance of our youth events. We have had four retreats, two talent shows, multiple hangout times and 22 hours of bible instruction since September 1.
We sure do have fun as a group, but its more than just that. We exist to provide our students with a safe environment to grow spiritually and mentally. This past couple of months our Sunday classes have been focused on the gospel of John. At this stage in many of our teen's lives they have already visited these stories. For many, this is likely the first time they have read it for themselves out of their own bible. We have some excellent bible teachers helping us out this year. If you see them please give them a hug.
Sunday: Keith Moore (6th&7th, John), Thom Robinson (8th&9th, John), Zach Loudon (10th - 12th, John).
Wednesday: Chad/Teri Mitchell (6th&7th, The Big Picture), Myself, Marcus McCormick, David Rentfro and Joe Mckinney (8th - 12th, Proverbs).
Here are somethings that you can do to at home:
1. Review the material that our student cover in class (Sunday's 6th and 7th Grade has a worksheet, Wednesday's 8th - 12th has a worksheet)
2. Read the material together
3. Ensure your student is reading from a physical bible and brings that to class.
4. Encourage note taking with questions. Each of the 8th - 12th graders were given a gospel of John book that has space to take notes.
5. Talk about the importance of fellowship and what Jesus means in everyday life.
6. Provide feedback to Mark Hixson, let him know if we are or are not making a positive impact on our students. (https://www.westsideyouthministry.org/feedback.html)
Here is the Schedule for November, please let Mark Hixson know if you can attend an event to help mentor our students.
This is the greatest place to find the latest news related to the WSYM. We'll share info about upcoming events as well as resources for parents.